I've Got Henna Hair!

I have been debating whether or not to use henna for about 6months. Every few weeks checking to see if the package was where I left it last. Seeing reviews stating curl pattern changes, drastic color changes, excessive dryness and some brands containing unnatural additives oh my, just assured my reservations. And so the research continues...
I've also been on the search for a good deep conditioner. After been less than satisfied with Mixed Silk Deep Conditioner (MixedChicks dupe) I felt as if I had returned to square one.
Wait a minute, I really like my co-wash conditioners.. lightbulb!

                                        Henna Conditioner Recipe

100% natural henna (found at local Indian or Asian Store) $3 for 200g       1/3 cup
this should provide several applications

Suave Naturals Conditioner 33oz for $2 ( or your fav)                              1/3 cup

Olive Oil (already on hand, may sub coconut or avocado)                        1 oz

Neem Powder (already on hand, also found at local ethnic stores) $4       1 tbsp

Aloe Vera Juice (already on hand)                                                             1 oz

50/50 H2o & lemon juice mixture (already on hand :)                               1/3 cup

your choice of essential oils if desired

I chose to leave in for 8 hrs covered with a plastic cap and scarf. More or less time may be required or desired. Some choose to leave in overnight. I did not want it to harden on my hair, but I believe the conditioner counteracts that.

The results: Amazingly conditioned hair!
My hair tends to appear an ashy dark brown color in the winter, and lightens in the summer. The henna conditioner left a natural looking end of August sun kissed vibrant brown! My hair got it's tan in March lol. It washed out very easy. I have a very sensitive scalp, and had no irritation at all. After shampooing and conditioning, I did chunky twists with my KCKT stretching mixture and allowed to air dry for 1 day before taking out. I will admit to being a little worried since it is so lightweight, but kinks and curls alike were very soft and hydrated. All of my worries were put to rest. I even got 5 day hair without feeling the need to shampoo, I hate that oil buildup feel on the scalp, and still had well defined hydrated curls. (with the help of my refreshing method) Also, its very budget friendly! No more expensive DCs for me! Throat clearing, at least for a while.

I even received a compliment from a type1 hair person (that knows nothing about highly textured hair might I add) I see on a weekly basis! "You did uh something to your hair?... it looks really good!
I mean it wasn't under conditioned before.. but anyway lol she meant well.
Let me know if you try!


No comments:

Post a Comment